Thursday, April 29, 2010

Character building

Most think of the physical challenge in endurance efforts. But there is also a mental challenge on some days. Wednesday was one of those days. I had checked the wind forecast on Tuesday night knowing that Wednesday was supposed to be windy. The forecast called for light winds until later in the day. But it was apparent at 7 am that the winds would be high at an early hour. I left at 8 into the teeth of the wind. As there no good routes to head south into the wind for a long distance and then enjoy a tailwind all the way home, I elected to just ride back and forth, south and north. The longest stretch into the wind was 12 miles, taking more than an hour. It was definitely a mental challenge into the wind. At times, I was slowed to 8 mph on the flat. The worst was the crosswinds. With 3 miles to go, it knocked me off the road surface. Fortunately, I was able to get the brakes on and a foot on the ground before going down a grassy hillside. When I got home, the local weather station 2 miles from the house was registering a wind of 24 mph with a high gust of 48 mph. Cyclists laugh on such days saying it builds character. Does it? I don't know, but I had enough of the wind yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment