Monday, January 30, 2012

A mild January

Riding in January is a hit and miss proposition.  The average high temperature is 42 degrees.  I rode outdoors 14 times this month.  Today was the best day as the temperature was 60 at the end of my ride.  Still, 60 in January somehow feels a little cooler than it does on a summer morning.

Several of the riders on the Eastern Seaboard tour had a "smell the roses" attitude.  Somehow, I have lost that attitude over the years.  I decided that I would stop a few times today while cycling.  I had never stopped at the Dinosaur Ridge museum while cycling.  Today I did.  Not to go into the museum, but at least to take a couple of pictures and read some signboards.  It is amazing what you see when you stop.  I had never noticed these dinosaur replicas while riding past just 25 yards away.


 Upon the return trip, I pedaled up the Ridge.  There are many exposed fossils.  I did not stop to see them as who wants to get started up again on a 6 percent grade.  I did look off to the side, though, and spotted quite a few.  I promise to stop next time.

One of the signboards described coprolite.  I will let you look this up.  A neighborhood man when I was a lad was an avid rockhound.  He showed me and my friend some coprolite.  I guess he was not BS'ing us after all, so to speak.  I thought it ironic that this particular signboard was next to the loo.

No comments:

Post a Comment