Monday, April 9, 2012

Opening day

As I was pedaling toward downtown Denver today, another rider told me he was going to the Colorado Rockies home opener.  I thought I would see if I could capture some familiar smells of a baseball game -- popcorn, hot dogs, candy cane.  It was nearly 2 hours before the first pitch and the crowds were still outside the gates.  So there were no familiar scents to be had there.  It was not a good opener as the home team lost -0.  It seemed as if everyone else was half my age, a familiar experience these days.  I have a young mind that enjoys young persons' experiences, but there seems to be a big disconnect at times when I look at everyone else.  I had the same experience on Friday night going to a first Friday art gallery walk.


It has been a warm spring so trees are budding, flowering, and leafing out much earlier than usual.  I missed baseball scents but these trees told me my olfactory senses are still working.


It was a glorious day for a bike ride.  I covered 51 miles today, the most for me in over a year.  Robin and I will be staffing the CrossRoads tour this year and I will have the opportunity to pedal all day at times, so I thought I had better getting prepared for the long rides.  It has been a very windy spring as the picture below from last week shows.  It was nice to not fight the wind today.


No comments:

Post a Comment