Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Gold Beach




Our ride from Bandon to Gold Beach was only 55 miles so we did not leave the hotel until 9. Within 200 meters, I had drops of mist on my glasses. The local light fog and mist would eventually lift, but heavy fog set in a couple of miles outside Port Orford. A headwind came with the fog and made the rest of the day more difficult than we have experienced to date. I did not take any pictures while riding because of the fog. It was just too gray. I did snap a few photos in Gold Beach that show some fog and a pile of driftwood on the beach.
Tracy was in the vehicle today to the first SAG and she worked on the shifting problems at bumps and the SAG. She felt that they were resolved so left on her bike from the SAG. Unfortunately, the problems returned and Jim H. picked her up. The current plan is to ship her other bike to Eureka so she can ride more.
After the SAG, Ron was a little bit ahead of Jim and me and was able to get through the construction work before we were stopped. We never saw him again until we got to the hotel. The fog was heavy at times. It was particularly a problem on descents when it would condense quickly on my glasses. I had to wipe the lens with my gloved fingers every couple of hundred meters so that I could see. I really do not like having only one hand on the bars at 30mph.

Vehicle traffic is getting lighter the further we get on the Oregon Coast. We left Hwy 101 a few miles outside Gold Beach and enjoyed no cars on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment