Wednesday, September 22, 2010

San Francisco

There is not much to report today. Our ride was 50 miles from Petaluma to San Francisco. We had a great deal of climbing out of Petaluma to the initial suburbs of San Francisco. Most of it was on roads that once were likely quiet roads in the country but are now moderately busy thoroughfares though still in the country.

Traffic was heavy thereafter and made us quite attentive. When I arrived in San Francisco on a coast bike trip in 1974, I could not tolerate the big city. I made a decision to move from the Los Angeles area. It is a decision that I have never regretted. Yes, Denver is big 36 years later, but nowhere the size of San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Doc said "I cheated death once again" on his arrival at the hotel. We are staying at a Holiday Inn just a couple of blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. The city's hotels are completely booked as an Oracle convention is in town.

We have a day off here tomorrow before resuming our last two days of riding to Carmel, CA. Robin is flying here tonight to celebrate my big 6-0 birthday on Thursday. It is great to be healthy and still feel young. Thanks be to God! Our group will go to dinner tomorrow night. Robin will accompany us for the last two days of riding and get a primer in SAG driving.

Sorry, no pictures for today.

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Tom.
    Sorry I'm a day late.
    Your trip down the West Coast has brought back many memories.
    Have a drink on me at Carmel.
    Put it on my account!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a happy day! Jealous of all the riding your getting in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy Birthday!! Wow, would have guessed much less than 6-0. Nice to "meet" Robin by seeing her pic on your blog. And what a terrific friend you are by providing such an adventure on two wheels!! All the best from Jordan and me.

    ReplyDelete