Wednesday, October 12, 2011

In the home stretch

Everyone seemed to enjoy the rest day in Savannah on Tuesday.  We were joined by several others on a bus tour of the historical district.  There are so many points of interest, it began to run together for me though.  After lunch, several of us took a river boat cruise of the Savannah port.  I did not know the nature of this cruise and was pleasantly surprised.  Savannah is the second-largest shipping port in the US behind my hometown of Long Beach-Los Angeles ports.  I learned more about shipping in one hour yesterday than in my growing up years in Long Beach.  Everything is about container shipping now and I cannot stand to take the Long Beach freeway for all the container trucks leaving the LB port.  It was not like that when I was younger.

We had a nice dinner at Belford's last night.  Several of the riders were there.  Robin and I were joined by Tracy, the Darlington's and the Walker's.  What a fun evening!

We are in the home stretch of the last four riding days.  Today was the longest day at 83 miles.  The remaining days are between 53 and 61 miles and this veteran group will knock off those days with ease.

After several days of tailwinds, we were faced by a slight headwind today.  It should be more of the same tomorrow.  The riders were greeted by a stopped train leaving town this morning.  After a 20 minute wait, they were underway only to be faced with a long string of vehicles wanting to pass them.  All went well thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment