Thursday, October 6, 2011

Jacksonville, NC

We took a nearly 2.5 hour ferry ride to get our day started.  The forecast was for a very nice tail wind today and the weather did not disappointment.  After one hour on very rural roads, I was averaging over 21 mph.  Once the busy traffic started, I became cautious and slowed down.  There was no shoulder to the SAG at 42 miles and riding the white line at the edge of the road was a necessity in the heavy traffic.  Still one driver tooted her horn at me as she passed very close.  Was I supposed to ride through the fields?  Oh well, I just give a mental shrug of my shoulders in cases like that.  I suspect that they do not see many cyclists around that part of NC.  The riders did have a nice shoulder for most of the ride after the SAG.

Jacksonville is home to Camp LeJeune, a US marine facility.  We could see young marines training at the side of the road.  They were next to what appeared to be a berm where they could practice their weapons training.  I recall from three years a bit of culture shock when the restaurant and adjoining WalMart was filled with many young and shaved heads.  Several in this bike group could fit in with the shaved heads!

We now have just eight cycling days left.  The next two days will be difficult at 110 and 119 miles.  I suspect that 119 miles will be a career-high for many on the tour.  This follows today's 87 mile day.  I am glad that I accomplished these distances already and can ride as I choose on the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment