Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tossed about and tuckered

One of our British riders was discussing the meaning of knackered at breakfast. I mentioned that a blog title should be titled "knocked about and knackered." I am using a similar title. The wind was strong from the start. As Craig and I clipped into our pedals at the hotel, tornado sirens sounded. Fortunately, it was only a test. We averaged only 14.5 mph over 40 miles to the hotel in Liberal. One of the fast five said he averaged 12.5 mph. Craig and I left an hour early so we could ride and deliver bags. We beat Tracy to the hotel.

Kansas means south wind people. The weather is for more favorable winds out of the south tomorrow. I joked to Craig on the road that I expected today's wind to switch as we crossed the border five miles from town.

The photo will remind ES11 riders of our day into Myrtle Beach. It is of hwy 54 out of Tucumcari a couple days ago. The road was re-paved last year with a smaller shoulder and added rumble strips. Not as much traffic, but many more trucks.

1 comment:

  1. Another of the dirty words you can't say on a bike trip...

    ReplyDelete