Friday, June 8, 2012

Chillicothe

I often wondered what the name of this town meant. There are four other towns in the US with the same name I asked our server tonight. He said that it is the name of an Indian tribe.

We stopped in Mayville today. The locals had prepared delicious cinnamon rolls up until 2009. Three people asked why we had not notified them in the past three years that we were coming. Apparently a lack of communication. They would love to serve us again. We are one of their few contacts with the "outside" world.

My friend Barry crashed outside St. Joseph in 2005 just a few minutes after I left the tour. We rode together in 2008 on the Eastern Seaboard tour. Robin and Carol took Wendy out of town last night to find the scene of the crash. The photo is of Barry and Wendy at the scene this morning. I was very happy for them today.

Lots of climbing today. I counted 75 hills through 47 miles when I got into the truck. It is just a warmup for tomorrow when there are 148 hills. No wonder, we will pass near thousand hill state park.

1 comment:

  1. Chillicothe means "big town where we live." Some pioneer asked the local Indians for the name of the place and got an answer he deserved.

    ReplyDelete