Saturday, May 15, 2010

The first century

For some of my former work colleagues, the first century does NOT refer to my birth year. I should have sued for age discrimination, but the statute of limitations has probably passed.

A century is a ride of 100 miles or longer. John and I fairly well flew through it. We were the second and third ones to the hotel. KimMarie beat us by one-half hour, the only time that a woman has been first to the hotel on our many trips. Well done, KimMarie! Gerard joined us in a paceline to the first SAG and we were averaging over 2o mph for a long time. As always, the first few miles through and out of town slows the overall average for the day. We climbed 400+ feet in the first 15 miles and then it was virtually flat. We passed the turnoff for Yazoo City, site of a vicious tornado 3 weeks ago, early on and passed over the Yazoo river. The river was still in a flood stage. The tornado's path of destruction extended well before Yazoo City. I looked for signs of it, but did not spot any.

At home in Colorado, we say that corn should be knee high by the Fourth of July. In many fields here in Mississippi, it is already chest high. Hard to believe! It may not be out of the ground at home yet. There are many fields of soybeans as well. This is cotton country as well, but I am told it is just being planted. I do not know what it would look like should I see it at an early stage. We also saw our first fields of wheat. I did see a few crop duster planes.

We are in Greenville, MS tonight. I asked at the restaurant for their famous personages. Our waitress did not know of anyone, but another server volunteered Jerry Rice and said that BB King grew up just 15 miles away. He tipped us to Beale St in Memphis for blues which I had already planned on scoping out on our rest day next week

Days stats: 101.1 miles, 18.2 mph, 865 feet climbing. We might not have made the century but for a missed turn at mile 75 and also passing the last turn for the hotel by a small bit. The cue sheet said that the turn was still one mile ahead but we had just passed the main drag through town and my intuition told me that the hotel had to be on the main drag. Many riders kept on going.

2 comments:

  1. As a city boy I am learning alot about farming

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son-in-law farms about 1500 acres in NW New Jersey - he is just finishing the plowing and planting process now. Their corn will be on the same schedule as Colorado...

    ReplyDelete