Monday, May 24, 2010

St Louis







Today was another 3 H day, with 50 percent more climbing and a few more miles than yesterday. Because of the trying effort in Sunday's heat and humidity, the riders asked if we could leave at 6 this morning. The sun was barely over the horizon. Fog shrouded low-lying areas. To point out how humid it was, my mirror attached to my glasses fogged over. John and I are 2 of 4 riders who wear a Camelbak. We really feel the need for it as just 2 water bottles on the bike are just not enough to make it in this type of weather. After 1.3 miles, John realized that he left his Camelbak in the room. He told me to go on and he reversed course to retrieve the Camelbak. He wanted to catch up to me and worked very hard to the first SAG at 37 miles. He did not quite make it as I beat him there by about 5 minutes.
Today's SAG stops were at open stores and I took advantage to buy real Gatorade, rather than use the powder provided by the company. I also grabbed a V8 juice, rich in potassium and sodium, at the first stop and a Naked Juice, rich in potassium and antioxidants at the second. All together I drank approximately 160 ounces of water, 80 ounces of Gatorade, and the extras at the SAG stop. When I arrived at the hotel, I had 3 tall glasses of water and a lemonade. I needed it all with the high heat index of 94 today.
We had a very difficult climb at 51 miles. I am not sure how long it was, some argued only 1 mile, others 2 miles. The average grade was 8.3 percent on this hill. My speed was high 5 and low 6 mph. Seven of us started relatively close together at the bottom. I was the first to the top, though Jordan was faster. The last 22 miles into town were urban riding. We had only 2 turns to make at the beginning and then a long straight shot all the way to the hotel. One of St. Louis's finest officers cut me off at an intersection, turning right in front of me without a signal or using his siren lights. I was quite perturbed and Gerard gave him the what for with a hand signal (not the bird).
The triage has continued the past 2 days. At dinner last night, Bill had cramps through his entire body and was chilled. The emergency room was just 2 blocks away and he went in for an IV drip with electrolytes. He did not ride today but is cleared for Wednesday. HJ crashed today and sustained a broken wrist. His ride is over though he plans to stick with the tour for a couple of days. On the positive, side we pick up another rider for the remainder of the journey. Her name is Pixie and shares the same last name as John -- Hicks. John is beside himself to meet her. We have 105 miles on Wednesday and the heat index will be just as high. I do not think that I will ride all day as today wiped me out. I have either a cold or severe allergies and it is affecting me.
Today's stats: 84.3 miles, 15.0 mph, 4450 feet climbing.
Highlight of the day: Hearing that Gerard and Fred climbed into a cool stream and laid for 5 minutes. Wish I had done that but I was in front of them. Seeing the downtown skyline for the first time.
Pictures: Gerard looking spent at the top of the long, steep climb; Rosy looking her usual cheerful self; the route for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment