Monday, May 10, 2010

New Orleans musing


We got here very late Thursday night, actually Friday morning, after a lengthy flight delay out of Denver. Robin and I went to meet my 92 year old aunt who lives about 50 miles from NO. I did not know many of my relatives in earlier life due to distance. It was nice to see Aunt Florence (right) and my cousin. We left and went to City Park, home to the art museum. It was close to closing time and we went back the next day. Went to Bourbon Street and I was over it in about 10 minutes. The senses were assaulted. Stripper bars for the eyes. I kept my eyes averted and stayed off the rooftops for my Bible study friends. Loud music for the ears, not sure how someone can be inside listening to it. The smell of vomit on the sidewalks from the already inebriated at 6 in the afternoon. the only pleasing sense was the palate from some good NO food.


On Saturday, Robin, John my trip roommate and previous companion on 2 rides, and I went on a riverboat cruise. Enjoyed the sights along the river and some historical background. We ate dinner on the riverfront and I had the best-ever ahi tuna. On Sunday, I took Robin off to the airport to return to Denver. John and I went on a 20 mile shakedown ride along a bike path next to the river. It will be our way out of NO on Tuesday morning. good thing as there will be no traffic. The river was quite busy with shipping traffic, mostly headed upriver.


With regard to Jim's and Bob's comments on uphill riding, it will be nothing for a Colorado mountain climber! Actually the first few days are flat as a pancake, reminding me of the East Coast ride. Sounds easy, right. Actually, you get quite bored staying in the same gear. You have to remind yourself to stand up and flex some different muscle groups. I think the hills start in Missouri or misery as some bicyclists call the state. I have met many riders already and everyone is excited for the Tuesday departure.
Cheers,
Tom


2 comments:

  1. I am sure you will have a great time. Keep on pedaling and keep on posting.

    Ira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! I seems like forever since we last chatted. Ride strong!

    ReplyDelete