Monday, October 21, 2013

D is for descending

The bike skill that I am most lacking in is descending. I am generally OK if the road is open. I have never enjoyed descents but developed a near phobia after two high-speed wobbles in 2011. So, I am working to overcome this fear. It will be a little difficult in coming months as the cold weather intensifies the chill factor on a descent. I definitely do not want to shiver and lose bike control. 

My first challenge was on Saturday. As Larry and I rounded a corner to begin a descent, a substantial crosswind hit us and was moving us on the road. I thought "let's see how the new bike handles in this wind."  I went down into the drops for better control (totally against my instincts) and let it go. After the ride, I checked the Garmin and saw that I reached 38 mph, my highest speed of the year. The bike held a perfect line. This will go a long way to developing my confidence. 

After a few freezes, most of the flowers in the garden are now toast. The hummingbirds that feast on these agastache flowers left about five weeks ago.  I will miss the flowers and the hummingbirds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment