Sunday, October 27, 2013

F is for friends

It is a beautiful weekend here in Colorado. I was pedaling up the dam today when a fellow pulled alongside and we started to talk about how wonderful a sport cycling is. I told him I have met so many good friends over the past few years. One of them is Jim Heller. We met on my first CrossRoads tour in 2005.  We had lunch together in Los Angeles and a fast friendship started. We rode together on most days. Jim and I have stayed in touch over the years, meeting in Indiana for the hilly hundred ride, riding down the west coast in 2010, meeting in Kansas while I have been on the staff, and going to baseball games in Denver. 

Sports brings us together. Paul is a friend of 50 years. We competed against each other in grade school basketball, ran together in high school cross country and track, roomed together during college summers while body surfing and playing volleyball, and now golf and run together. Paul coached a girl's cross country team to its third consecutive Colorado state championship yesterday. Congratulations to Paul and his teams!

The photo is of Jim Heller and me during his visit this summer. Long live great friendships!




No comments:

Post a Comment