Sunday, May 10, 2009

Escape from LA




Tracy gave me the honor of being the lead rider with Rick Wardell. We rode 2 by 2 from the hotel to the beach and then to the Manhattan Beach Pier. The peloton started off very quiet as the enormity of the task became reality. Once we got to the beach, a little bit of chatter started up. Only a few riders took their bikes to the ocean. Many were concerned about salt water damage to the rims, while the part-way riders skipped it. I did it before when I went coast to coast so I skipped it too.




There was one little accident at the pier as my roommate dumped his bike to avoid a child and crashed into another bike. A little mechanic work and everyone was underway. There is not much too say about today's ride. There is just a lot of stop and go as we are on major streets with many red lights to stop for. The morning marine layer wore off about half way through the ride and then it really warmed up. I rode alone for most of the day, unable and unwilling to ride with the fast riders and a little bit faster than the others. With so much traffic and so many lights, it was for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment