Friday, May 1, 2009

Ready to go

Here I go again. Off for another adventure in the slow lane, seeing America on a bicycle at 16 mph.

I will be helping out on Crossroads Cycling's cross country tour. I will have some light duties after the day's ride is done and may be pressed into service during the day. Tracy, the owner of Crossroads Cycling Adventures, moved from Connecticut to Colorado in late 2007 and lives just a couple of miles from me. I did the cross country ride with Crossroads previously, splitting the distance in 2005 and 2006. I also did their reunion ride in 2008 from Maine to Florida. This year's trip will take me from Los Angeles to Abilene, KS. I depart LA on May 10 and arrive in Abilene on June 1, traveling some 1625 miles according to my last diary for this trip.

Many have asked me why do it again. Long distance cycling has become a part of me. I get to marvel at the many sights of America, talk to residents along the way, and make new friends from around the country and world. I also like to set goals that will keep me physically energized. Cycling has increased my patience and focus, something I sorely lacked before. It is all part of slowing down and enjoying life. My favorite part of the cross country tour is the wide open spaces of the western part of the US, so I am looking forward to seeing it again.

I hope that you enjoy my life in the slow lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment