Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Indio to Blythe

Do you know who the best doctor in the world is? It is oneself. I have believed that for a long time. It was time to personally put it into practice again today. I decided on Monday night to not ride today. Easy decision.

The route starts out with an 11 mile climb after only 7 miles. It is interstate riding, so the climb was not too steep except in a few spots. The vans stopped at the side of the road part way up this climb. Looking back to Indio (14 feet below sea level), you could appreciate the elevation gain for the riders. I helped riders at the first two SAGS, giving them encouragement. I appreciate it when I am riding, so it was time to pay it forward today.

The plan for me today was to ride 52 miles and then go in the truck to the hotel to deliver bags. I did the latter before any riders arrived. Staff had the vans and truck ready to go at 4, hours earlier than normal according to Tracy. I will be on restaurant duty tonight for the riders.

The knee is difficult to figure out. It does not hurt when walking around. It may hurt because I was trying to ride a normal gear for me, but I did notice that the rolling resistance of the tire liners was making the effort a little more difficult. I will try one leg between SAGS tomorrow, backing it off a notch, and will go forward with the original plan to deliver bags again after arriving at the second of three SAGs tomorrow.

The riders did well today. It was 104 degrees in the desert with aiding or neutral winds for much of the day. Tracy was pleased with how everyone did.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment