Monday, May 18, 2009

Out of the saddle, but riding again now

The other knee bothered me last week and I took some time off again. I rode from Prescott to the top of Mingus Mountain. The downhill from there is a 3700 foot descent, technical, and too scary for me. Just as in 2005, I took the van to Cottonwood.

I was the last out of the hotel in Prescott by 3 minutes, but the fourth one to the top. The effort, though relaxed, took something out of my knee and I took the day off from the ride from Cottonwood to Flagstaff. The day was close to 100 percent climbing so a rest day was in order. On arriving in Flagstaff, I bought an elastic knee brace. The brace had worked for me in the past and it did again. Two days off made my knee feel great. I rode 60 miles of the scheduled 95 today as a test and did well. I hope to be over the knee problems and ride the distance from now on.

The crosswind for the late arriving riders in Holbrook was fierce. At one point, we could not see much past the other side of the street for the blowing dust. It is still blowing hard outside. We are hoping for calmer winds in the morning on the ride from Holbrook to Gallup.

Best wishes to all.

Tom

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom
    Ellen Russell here. We just passed Holbrook on our way home. Missed you by 2 days. We were thereon the 16th. Ha
    If I had been on line I could have read your blog. Anyway we are home from Phoenix, Yuma, Los Algodones and Dentist, Dana Point, back to Phoenix and home.
    Love you journal. Fascinating! Bill says good luck and glad it's not him.
    Love Ellen

    ReplyDelete