Sunday, May 24, 2009

A scenic day to Las Vegas




Riders universally agreed that this was the most scenic day thus far. Riders even commented on the view to the east on the return from dinner tonight. The clouds seemed to touch down to the horizon rising up ahead of us. I wish that I had my camera at the time. This leg has been one of my favorites. Sunday morning rides are very quiet on the road. Even the interstate riding of 5 miles was mostly empty of traffic. From the SAG stop at mile 44 through mile 64, I had only 3 cars pass me in the same direction I was going. The road was a frontage road to I-25 with continuous rolling hills. I hit my top speed of 36.7 miles thus far on this trip.

We were generally surprised how cold it was once we were on the bikes leaving Santa Fe. The last couple of miles on I-25 chilled me and I put my jacket on after leaving the highway. After 10 miles, I was warm enough to shed the jacket. We had storm clouds all around us and saw a wet road in a few places, but no one had any rain fall on them.

Our route followed portions of the Old Santa Fe trail for many miles. The trail was first used in 1821 and goes from Missouri to Santa Fe. We will be crossing many sections of the original trail all the way into Missouri. The original wagon train wheel ruts can still be seen in several places, believe it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment