Monday, May 25, 2009

It's a long way to Tucumcari


Today's ride was 108 miles. There was a 3 mile descent on a 9 percent grade that I chose not to ride. Hank and I took a bump in the van from the first SAG to the bottom of the hill and missed 8 miles. I still managed to get in a full century by 0.6 miles. If I had to ride to another 1/2 mile to get it in, I would have skipped it. That's how tired I feel. Despite a net loss of 2400 feet in elevation today, we still climbed just over 3000 feet.


This was my favorite ride in 2005 and still ranks up there near the top. The big difference was the dry winter. In 2005, the rangeland was completely green. There was not a glimmer of green grass in the 100 miles today. The scenery throughout New Mexico is the reason that their license plates read "Land of Enchantment" and why Georgia O'Keeffe loved this state.

No comments:

Post a Comment