Thursday, May 21, 2009

Grants to Albuquerque



We started out this morning in a light drizzle. It did not last long, but the road was wet for some distance out of town. Wet enough to make our bikes and clothes filthy. We were on Route 66 until the SAG at mile 31.




There was road construction on Interstate-40 that prevented cycling for several miles. Crossroads loaded up the vans and truck with bikes and riders and took us 16 miles down the road. We were able to make 2 round trips with the 2 vans to move the riders forward. Although I was at the SAG early enough to be in the first van to depart, I gave my seat up to another Crossroads client. I figured as unofficial Crossroads staff that it was my duty to do so and make someone else happy. We ended up with 19 miles of interstate riding today. Only 5 miles left to ride on the interstate. Yippee!




Three riders are ending their tour in Albuquerque. It was fun to ride with Mark, Barbie, and Jack W. Jack is from Israel. I enjoy meeting people from other countries. I feel that they are generally more aware of international affairs than the average American citizen. I learn so much. Jack runs a cement-related business. He told me that if Israeli and Palestinian businessmen could sit down and solve the problems, agreement would be reached within 5 minutes. Politicians muck it up too much. I hope that Jack returns to America and rides with Crossroads again.




Albuquerque seems larger than four years ago. It was the 6th fastest growing city in the US in 2007. The city was founded inn 1706, making it one of the nation's oldest. The Rio Grande River flows through the city. It was running high and fast when I went over it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment